Summer Fun and Fall Capsule Wardrobe

 This California summer has been a true summer indeed! We have had some great weeks of warm ocean water. Surfing in a spring suit or a bikini is my kind of surfing! But then something shifted and we got this push of cold water from up north. So I showed up in my spring suit one day and instead of a warm tub of salty water, I got a nice ice therapy session. My hubby and I decided to head over to San Onofre. It was actually a bit chilly and grey most of the day. The surf wasn't that great. We hit a local, sunnier spot on the way home and the surf was a bit better there. We've really been taking advantage of surfing as much as possible this summer. But I know fall is just around the corner. 

                                                         


I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been trying to purge clothes and pare down their wardrobe. It is really hard when you enjoy self expression through dressing. Especially as a seamstress. But I have been really trying to be more thoughtful about the things I make and purchase. I thrift most of my clothes but that can be a trap too, since things are much cheaper. I am not a minimalist but I do live simply. My husband and I are both project people and we love art and music and being creative. So I will never be a true minimalist, which is fine. But my goal is to be more intentional. I've been wanting to try a fall capsule wardrobe for some time and since I am not a true minimalist and I do love clothes, I decided to do mini capsule wardrobes. So I'm starting with casual wear. And I'm making it seasonal. So here is my fall, casual wear wardrobe. These are pieces I will basically live in this coming season. And if I succeed, then maybe I can get rid of even more clothes. There really is no reason why I can't. I've traveled for months at a time with a tiny carry on suit case and a back pack. And I was happy doing it! 

I took into account my lifestyle and personal style. I am pretty active, so I like to be comfortable. I also lean towards a tomboyish style with flannels and jeans and tees. But I'm boho at heart. I love floral, fringe and earthy, flowy vibes. A lot of people start their capsules with 33 pieces. I'm starting mine with 15. That way I can see if 15 is realistic and if it's not I can always add the pieces I need or that are more functional for my lifestyle. I am not counting jewelry or purses as of yet. Baby steps. Here we have 8 tops, 3 pairs of jeans, and 3 pairs of shoes. I have one more top not pictured because I am debating whether I will need it or not. 

  


                                        




One thing I noticed going through my closet is that I apparently really love jackets and sweaters. I have way too many. So this may help with seeing what I'm actually really drawn to and what I actually wear. I'm super excited about doing this capsule wardrobe! Have you guys tried a capsule wardrobe? I'd love to hear any tips! 

Comments

Popular Posts