Southwest sky burst


What do you guys think? Southwest Sky Burst or some kind of psychedelic snuggly?? It's interesting with art. We see different things. When I showed this to my brother in law he said, "Cool, psychedelic." Haha. Wasn't what I was going for but that's cool. I like the 70's. Hopefully my grandma will too since this is for her. 😆 I don't consider myself a quilter as much as a I do a seamstress. Mainly because my quilts have been pretty simple. I used to do lots of free motion quilting and I have made a ton of quilts but I know some women who are the real deal quilt ladies and they are pretty amazing!!! They are so detailed and such intricate works of art. I'm in awe of that style truly but at the end of the day, I tend to be drawn to making clothes or home decor items. But that is the great gift sewing gives you. You can make anything you want. Lately I have made a ton of zip up hoodies, pillows, and a couple dresses. And a few throw size quilts for family. So this is the quilt for my grandma, who, fun fact, is only 34 years older than me! She could be my mama. I wanted to make her something for a couple reasons. First, she is the one who got me into quilting about 12 years ago. She came to visit from Georgia and brought a pattern for a fan quilt. We went fabric shopping and cut some of it together and then she had to go home. So I sewed it up alone. Since she got me started, she deserves something from me. Plus, I just really love her. 💜 Here's a pic of it. My very first quilt. It's a queen size. What was I thinking?! But I got a bit obsessed once I got going. 

Second reason is that my grandma recently lost my grandpa. They were married for 52 years. He is a southern man, a true Georgia peach. She is from New Mexico and then later lived in California for most of my life and then to Georgia. I know her heart has always been in the Southwest so I felt like making her something that reminds her of her first home would be a comfort to her in this time. So here it is. 




There's something about working with colors and fabric fibers. I love it. And making something with a specific person in mind makes all the work worth it. This is actually the pattern for one of Amy Butlers quilts, windows to the soul, I believe. I made another one years ago from this pattern and its perfect for someone like me who doesn't have lots of patience for tiny pieces! And the name really is perfect. This feels like part of my grandmas soul, back to her Pueblo roots. A piece of home and a piece of me. No matter how far people are, they carry pieces of each other with them. 

Comments

Popular Posts